The territories of Tosno district were
part of Vodskaya pyatina (domain) of the Novgorodian State.
Tosno as a tiny settlement (of just two households) is first
mentioned in levy books of the 15th-early 16th centuries.
During the Swedish rule when the indigenous
population moved far inland, Finnish peasants were resettled
to Ingermanlandia (Izhorskaya land) from the northwest of
Finland giving birth to Finno-Ugric groups that still reside
Rapid development of the area started in
the 18th century. A road between St.Peterburg and Moscow passed
across the area providing work and support for local peasants.
New villages sprang up. The coach service was organized and
a post station arranged in Tosno.
By that time the center of the town (between
the Smolin stream and Tosno River) took its shape with dwelling
houses, shops, inns and the earliest wooden church. The big
wooden Temple of Our Lady of Kazan was erected later at the
confluence of the Smolin stream and the Tosno.
The construction of the Nikolaevskaya (Oktyabr'skaya)
railroad in the 19th century changed the local way of life
urging new services to be introduced. Many locals earned their
living as carriers delivering timber, coal, ice, raw materials,
During Great Patriotic War the town was
occupied by the Germans. There were no army operation in the
town and buildings suffered mostly in air attacks.
After the town was liberated, its industries
grew fast. It is in 1944 already that a car-repair enterprise
and a plant of construction components were founded. In 1963
Tosno, earlier an industrial community, got the status of